Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I tried


Since I quit work at the end of February, I haven't accomplished near as much as I thought I would. I'm one of those people who gets 80% of the work done in the last 20% of time I have to do it. Nothing like a deadline to motivate me. Yesterday I thought I'd make an hour-by-hour schedule of what I'd do with my time.

It started out great. I got up before the alarm went off and made it to my 8:30 appointment on time. That's where it ended. Things happened that I hadn't planned on. Signatures I thought I had, I didn't. One signature I needed was down at 38th Avenue in Wheat Ridge. As long as I had to go, might as well take the bike. Beautiful day.

I got these adorable tiger ears and tail for my helmet. The manufacturer says they've been tested to 170 MPH. I don't think my bike goes that fast. I have friends who said my tiger ears look dorky, but I don't care. I still think they're cute. Because today was so warm, lots of people had their windows down in their cars. I had two people holler that they loved my ears. I saw several more do a double-take and smile. It felt good to be a bright spot in those people's day. Maybe I'm a little old to do "cute", but it's too much fun not to.

I don't like riding down Wadsworth too much. There's a lot of traffic. Some people are good and stay way back at the lights, but others don't. I thought that going west to the edge of town and back north that way would be far safer. It was a nicer ride, even if it was out of the way. I had to hit the fabric store to get some fabric for the binding for the quilt I finished this morning, so I went back across Wadsworth on 88th. I tried a new route leaving there as well, which dumped me out on 92nd. Another alternative took me up behind my apartment complex, which I blew by so I could ride out 128 while enjoying the incredible scenery of the Rockies covered in a ton of snow. I got to the end and did a u-turn and came back. At this point I had blown the schedule completely. I'll get the quilt done tonight, but I'll need to move the other items to tomorrow.

I think I'm going to have a hard time resisting the call of the open road if I'm not chained to a desk. Darn.

No comments: